Mrauk-U in Myanmar Travel Video
Mrauk U formerly known as Myohaung, is an archaeologically important town in northern Rakhine State, Myanmar. It is also the capital of Mrauk-U Township, a sub region of the Mrauk-U District.
Mrauk U lies roughly 11 kilometers east of the Kaladan River on the banks of its minor tributaries. The town is located on a small outcrop of the Rakhine Yoma on the eastern side of the Kaladan’s alluvial plain. Thus, the surrounding countryside is hilly yet also contains a great deal of marshes, mangroves and lakes.
Features of Mrauk-U in Myanmar Travel Video
- Mrauk U, like much of Rakhine State, is situated in a coastal tropical monsoon rainforest climate region. It is one of the wettest regions in Myanmar. The Monsoon season usually begins in late May and ends by mid-October.
- Although located in a tropical region, Mrauk U enjoys lower temperatures when the Northeastern Monsoon falls. From mid-October to mid-March during the Cool Season, temperatures can drop to 13 °C.
- Due to its proximity to the Bay of Bengal, Mrauk U developed into an important regional trade hub, acting as both a back door to the Burmese hinterland and also as an important port along the eastern shore of the Bay of Bengal.
- It became a transit point for goods such as rice, ivory, elephants, tree sap and deer hide from Ava in Myanmar, and of cotton, slaves, horses, cowrie, spices and textiles from Bengal, India, Persia and Arabia.
- Mrauk U houses a rich collection of temples and pagodas second only to the Central Burmese town of Bagan, in Myanmar. Most of Mrauk U’s temples were constructed of hewn stone bricks, unlike the mud and clay bricks of Bagan.
- The most notable temples in Mrauk U are the Shite-thaung Temple, Htukkanthein Temple, the Koe-thaung Temple and the Five Mahn pagodas.
- The most notable mosque would be the old Santikan Mosque in the southeast of the town.
- The area around Mrauk U ranks second in the production of rice in Myanmar, after the Irrawaddy Delta.
- Mrauk U is a major archaeological and tourist destination. The main attractions are the temples and ruins around the town. The remains of the main palace roughly form the center of the town.
- Mrauk U houses a growing tourist industry, as it has only recently become a reachable tourist destination.
- In 2017, an international commission urged Myanmar to nominate Mrauk U for UNESCO World Heritage Site status.
- Most of Mrauk U has very basic infrastructure. It has a Township hospital, a Basic Education High School and a market. Like much of Rakhine state and the whole of Myanmar, Mrauk U has 24-hour electricity.
How to Get to Mrauk-U in Myanmar Travel Video
The most popular mode for tourists to travel to Mrauk U is to take a domestic flight from Yangon to Sittwe and board a boat from Sittwe against the Kaladan River. The hotels in Mrauk U also arrange private boat services to and from Sittwe.
Temples in Mrauk-U in Myanmar Travel Video
The following are some of the famous and noteworthy religious buildings in and around the town.
- Htukkanthein Temple
- Koe-thaung Temple
- Andaw-thein Ordination Hall
- Le-myet-hna Temple
Five Man Pagodas in Mrauk-U in Myanmar Travel Video
- Mingala Man Aung Pagoda
- Ratana Man Aung Pagoda
- Sakya Man Aung Pagoda
- Lawka Man Aung Pagoda
- Zina Man Aung Pagoda
Most of Mrauk U has a Township hospital, a Basic Education High School and a market, you can find it in Mrauk-U in Myanmar Travel Video.